Enterprising Communities: people transforming where they live
Unleashing the power of social entrepreneurs
How can we help empower people to transform where they live, work and play? In January, UnLtd and Local Trust are exploring how we can best support social entrepreneurs to build more resilient communities.
We will hear from incredible social entrepreneurs from Big Local areas, the four corners of the UK and around the world. Together, we will explore a new framework for change.
UnLtd’s work over 6 years with Big Local areas has demonstrated that social entrepreneurs and the ventures they run create real benefit for local residents.
The event will demonstrate how we can all help social entrepreneurs to create jobs, build businesses, deliver services, open-up volunteering opportunities, and reclaim spaces for their community.
It will prove social entrepreneurs can be at the heart of driving change, through renewing and invigorating the local economy in their areas.
The event will tackle big questions:
- What has been learnt from working with Big Local areas?
- How do we put social entrepreneurs and local people at the heart of leading change?
- How can we make enterprising spaces work better for the people that matter?
- And, what can we all do to make sure we’re supporting the people who are changing local communities for the better?
Throughout the day we will shed light on the under-reported people who work tirelessly to make our communities more equitable, sustainable and resilient.
The event will offer unique networking opportunities, practical workshops and opportunities to look at how we can create more opportunities for social entrepreneurs to lead change.
Hear from social entrepreneurs who are already transforming their neighbourhoods and creating sustainable businesses – such as:
- An employment support company in the west midlands that is working with young people to prepare them to become job ready. The social venture then moves people onto the next stage through training, further education and sustainable employment.
- A stay and play centre in north-west England, a thriving and innovative childcare centre. If offers local families a service that really meets their distinctive needs and is now entirely self-funding.
- Therapeutic workshops for recovering drug and alcohol users in a coastal community. Over recent years, it has grown significantly and now has 93 members attending workshops – all thanks to the entrepreneur working very closely with local people.
- A dynamic social entrepreneur transforming her community in north London. Through her own enterprise she supported new and growing social ventures led by residents. This innovative approach brings in new investment and creates opportunities for residents to grow their businesses, generate employment, wealth and contribute to bigger social change.
From UnLtd’s emerging resilient communities work we will hear from The Bevy in Brighton, a co-operative running Brighton’s only community pub, and the only community pub on an estate in the UK. The Bevy team will tell the story of taking over an ailing pub, working with local people to turn it around and helping to create a thriving community venue.
The event will also welcome international activists such as Erik Howard, from Detroit. He will be sharing his experiences of reimagining a place from the ground-up, building diverse new communities and what it takes to build a new movement when the state does not exist.
Other keynote speakers and a full programme will be confirmed in December.
Follow the conversation through the hashtag #EnterprisingCommunities
Local Trust was set up in 2012 to deliver Big Local, a unique programme that puts residents across England in control of decisions about their own lives and neighbourhoods. Funded by a £217m endowment from the Big Lottery Fund, it provides £1m of long-term funding over 10-15 years to each of 150 local communities, many of which face major social and economic challenges, and have missed out on previous funding. www.localtrust.org.uk
- Tuesday, 23 January 2018 12:30pm - 5:30pm
- UnLtd Award Winners, All Social Entrepreneurs, Supporters of Social Entrepreneurs
- The Barbican Centre
- Contact Organiser
Tickets for this event are currently unavailable.
Please bookmark this page and check back soon for updated information on ticket availability!